Flying Dragon Tower
The Flying Dragon Tower, or Biryong as its known in Korean, is the mascot of Inha University. Its name is rooted in the history of the land on which the university is built. The Flying Dragon displays the university’s determination to foster talent and produce competent leaders who possess the qualities of the ‘flying dragon on a cloud’. Dragons have long been a dynamic part of East Asian mythology. Known as one of the legendary four spirits, the dragon represents a great leap.
In June, 1974, to commemorate the university’s 20th anniversary, the flying dragon was designated an official symbol of Inha University for the qualities it represents. The construction of the Flying Dragon Tower started on September 1, 1983, and it was unveiled on April 24, 1984, in time to commemorate the 30th anniversary. Part of the construction cost came from donations made by registered students, alumni, and faculty, a sign of the solidarity within Inha. After detailed historical research, the flying dragon statue was made with 7 stalagmites on the platform to represent the 7 colleges of then and 4 stone pillars surrounding the central column to represent the four-year education system, the worldly example of the dragon’s ascension to heaven. The four petal-shaped stones in the pine indicate a great ambition to spread over four seas, in all directions. When one looks at the tower in its entirety, one will understand the stone pillars are Yang(陽), while the petal shaped stones are Eum(陰).
Founded in April 24, 1954 as Inha Institute of Technology, Inha University held several meetings to choose a school motto which would reflect ideals, such as integrity of character, the quest for truth and service to society, fitting to represent the university. On October 14, 1965, ten years after foundation, the council on school affairs decided on ‘Truth’ as the university’s motto. The school’s motto, ‘Truth’, represents the university as a place for study and that the ideal of study lies in the quest for truth.
From the form and nature of every creature to languages and behaviors of human beings, the truth never changes. Within truth lies authenticity, sincerity, and fact, all of which are needed to become forthright members of society.
The School Flag
When founded, the first letter ‘仁’ of ‘仁荷’(Inha) was selected as the mark for the official school stamp. The school flag was rectangular, colored navy blue and the mark of the golden stamp was placed in the center and embellished with a golden fringe. The flag was dedicated by Dr. Syng Man Rhee, the founding president, at the founding ceremony in October 1954. After the institute attained university status in 1972, the new name, Inha University, was placed at the bottom and the center stamp was replaced with the current emblem.